Wednesday, February 1, 2012

No Sew Flower Necklace



Let me start off with an apology, I should have had more pictures for this to make it easier to follow, but my photographer (hubby) wasn't feeling well so I went solo on this tutorial. I'm going to need to get out my Tri-pod for my camera so I can work and take photo's... LOL 
Now for part II explanation... y'all know that I'm doing this A-Z challenge for the month of April.. so today is the letter N... all I could come up with was the following.. Nuts, Nachos, Noodles.. and none of that sounded like anything I wanted to pursue... so I kept brainstorming.. and I thought... what about a NO sew project... so I Googled No Sew and found this link...
This is the CUTEST necklace I've seen in awhile.. and soooo easy.  It's not done in an hour but it's not an all day project either, I finished it in an evening. 
So first.... you decide what color fabric you want to use for your flowers.. and then have a piece of felt on hand that will match the color of your flowers... the felt should be at least 1 sq foot.  You'll need fabric scissors, a glue gun, a necklace chain of your choice. 
You will make 5- 1&1/2 inch circles from your felt.  As shown below...




 Once you have your felt circles cut out set the extra felt aside you will need it later...Now take one of the felt circles as a pattern to use and cut your fabric out in 1&1/2 inch circles as well.  I cut mine in stacks as thick as I could cut through...made it go faster and they don't have to be perfect at all.
 I can't tell you exactly how many you'll need, I just cut out a bunch to start with and when I ran out cut some more....
 Once you have cut out your fabric circles you fold them in half, then in half again, then in half again.. til they look this this above... ( Heavens I just noticed how messy my nails looks.. I promise I do wash my hands and have clean finger nails almost all the time, just not while crafting.. YIKES! )
 You glue the little pieces of fabric folded up with a hot glue gun to the felt circles until they look like the circles above... it'll take a lot of little circles but it really does go pretty fast..
 Once you've made all 5 flowers.. you arrange them on the big piece of felt that's left in the necklace shape you want them in.. all but the top 2 flowers... 
 You should have 3 flowers glued down and 2 left to finish gluing... but before you do that you'll want to take your necklace chain and cut it in half in the center front of it...(I didn't get as you can see, photo's of this... but if you follow the link where I found these awesome Necklaces you'll see her photo's show a tad more)....  you will take one side and glue it on the bottom of the flower ( about an inch long) and glue that flower down to felt next to other flowers to finish that side of necklace... and repeat for the other side.. 
 I didn't get me cutting the chain so I took this shot afterwards to at least give you an idea of what I was talking about... my apologizes..
Now with the chain and all the flowers glued down to the large felt piece you want to cut around it so that it doesn't show from the front... ( but using it to keep the flowers connected.)
Once you've trimmed of the extra felt....whaaaa laaaaa you have an adorable no sew fabric floral necklace...Here's the finished look....





 Here's where I wish I had a daughter or granddaughter living close by to be my model for these things.. But hey, if a grandma can rock this necklace imagine what a 20-30-40 something gal can do...
I just love this necklace...I think I need to make them in several different colors ... what do you think ?  What would be your favorite color of Flower necklace ?

xoxo,
Carri

2 comments: